Tuesday 6 May 2014

More Tea, Please Hayley....

THE WEEKLY Clucker caught up with the second series of The Call Centre on our Sky planner this week - a documentary about Swansea-based call centre Save Britain Money, led by larger-than-life boss Nev Wilshire.

The call centre is based in a cavernous open plan office where an army of telesales employees cold call members of the public, flogging stuff like cavity wall insulation. The phones never stop ringing and the phone operators barely stop to catch their breath between being cut off by a disinterested customer and dialling the next one, in the relentless pursuit of another sale. 

Meanwhile, the Clucker's office phone is caked in dust and hasn't rung for weeks. We haven't even received a telesales call from the likes of Save Britain Money. Maybe, our mission to go global, will attract at least one phone call to the office....

The Call Centre's success has not only transformed Nev Wilshire into a TV star and celebrity businessman but also spawned a host of fellow reality personalities. The shining light of Call Centre stars is arguably 24-year-old Hayley Pearce aka Hayley the Tea Lady (post continues after pic below).

Hayley the Tea Lady



We wished we had Hayley serving us tea and coffee at the Clucker's office; her bubbly personality and colourful language would certainly liven up the place. But she would probably find the pace of life in Clucker far too slow compared to the hubbub of the call centre....never mind. 

The Call Centre may not return for a third series, according to Nev. He revealed in an interview with Wales Online: "The BBC want to start series three, but I am not sure whether I will or not. I take my eye off the ball a bit. I said if they want to do series three, I will need at least two or three months to get the plates spinning and my fingers back on the pulse otherwise there won't be anything to film."

Nev's revelation means we could be in danger of losing Hayley from our TV screens for good, which would be a great shame. The Clucker thought perhaps MTV could give her a lifeline by signing her up for The Valleys to join Jenna Jonathan, Lateysha Grace and co? However, Hayley, who is also known as 'Hayley Fierce' to her friends, has ruled out being in The Valleys because she had to 'respect her parents'. She told ZOO magazine: "I'll be honest with you; the girls on The Valleys are wild. I'm not shy - I'm also pretty wild on a night out - but I wouldn't want to get followed and filmed for everyone to see exactly how I am on a night out! Talking filth like that is not nice for everyone to see!"

Hayley added she was surprised by the success of The Call Centre. She said: "Everyone is saying our show is hysterical and I'm thinking 'Well, it's not meant to be funny. That's just us!' It's mad because it was originally just a documentary on call centre life but now it's turned into this total legend of a funny programme, and that's mad. I never thought it was meant to be a comedy."

Hayley is keeping her feet on the ground despite her rising Valleywood stardom. She told Wales On Sunday: "I get recognised virtually wherever I go apart from where I live and I hope it stays like that. I was in my local surgery the other day, and someone whispered to her friend about me: 'Doesn't she look like that girl from The Call Centre.' " She added that she didn't 'class herself as celebrity.' She said: "I'm going to take up offers because you never know how long this will last."

Well, the Clucker hopes you stay on our screens for a long time to come and continue to keep us entertained, Hayley Pearce!

You can catch The Call Centre on BBC3 every Tuesday at 9pm. You can also find out more about Hayley at her website www.hayleytealady.com

If you enjoyed this blog, please follow The Weekly Clucker on Twitter @weeklyclucker! You know you ruddy well want to! 







No comments:

Post a Comment