Sunday 13 July 2014

Voice Of An Angel Charlotte Church Goes Sci-Fi


"I'M SORRY PEOPLE OF WALES, I've gone a bit weird," Charlotte Church said to camera on her fly-on-the-wall documentary showcasing her dramatic change in musical direction. 


The Weekly Clucker watched gobsmacked as Voice of An Angel Charlotte Church showcased her new brand of experimental science-infused music in BBC One Wales documentary Charlotte Church: In Her Own Voice.

Charlotte (pic below) has taken an incredibly gutsy step in performing this material with an image that we've never seen before, with UV make-up, a metal-cage jellyfish-type light dress and tentacles that reach out into the audience. 


She's on a mission - without the financial backing of a major record label - to make sure her music doesn't fall on deaf ears. 

"I want to do some things on my own terms from my own weird creative brain which has developed rather weirdly due to my crazy life,' she said on the documentary. 

"I sort of got disillusioned with music and stuff and the whole shebang and I was thinking about moving away to a hut in Nepal and then I sort of thought 'No', I have to do music. I have to sing. I just have to. It's not really a choice, it's a compulsion."

Charlotte, 28, from Cardiff, revealed how she discovered her confidence to write her own music after she met her partner, muscian and co-writer Jonathan Powell in 2010.

She described her new sound as "jam-packed full of rhythms and funk and loads of riffs and lots of hooks." 

She said: "It's really intense music and it's an assault on the senses a lot of the time and you have to think about it. It's not really just chuck it on in the background, a bit of easy-listening." 

Charlotte revealed her recent interest in science and physics influenced her songwriting on her latest EP called EP Four.

She said: "I've got massively into science and physics recently. I say 'massively', I read the New Scientist and I have dreams of going to university to do a degree in physics. And anyway there's a lot of songs on EP Four which are a little bit scientific in nature, for example, there is a song called Entanglement, which is about entanglement theory...."

She added: "I've never ever considered myself really a very creative entity before. I bloody well do now but that's only because I've really pushed myself I feel, and it's been an incredible thing to do."

Watch the video below for her song Little Movements from EP Four, which was filmed in Cardiff. 

 

Charlotte's homecoming gig in Cardiff where she showcased her new sound featuring songs from EP Four followed the documentary (watch the trailer for the Entanglement concert below). 



The Clucker was so absorbed by her visually striking and vocally expressive performance, we've been listening to EP Four in the office. 

And there's so many layers to the EP, the more you listen to it, the more it grows on you. 

Charlotte said: "I still feel like I'm sort of on a bit of a musical journey, which is really cheesy, but I can't think of any other way to say it. 


"It's exploratory. I'm still finding exactly what it is that I want to do but I haven't finished yet."

Charlotte's on a mission, and we wish her all the best. Hats off to you, Charlotte Church! 

Find out more about Charlotte Church and EP Four on her official website http://charlottechurchmusic.com/
 
 EP Four Track Listing:

1. Entanglement
2. Love Alone
3. Little Movements
4. Death and Mathematics
5. Hood Shade
6. Love

If you thought this blog post was a ruddy good read, why not follow us on Twitter @weeklyclucker.

















No comments:

Post a Comment